Use Speed Limits to limit the MASV Desktop App’s bandwidth usage when sharing a network
The MASV Desktop App speeds up your transfers with all available bandwidth. But you can also limit how much bandwidth it uses. This is useful if you share a network with others, like in an office, or to reduce charges from a network provider.
You can control speed limits in Settings > Speed > Speed limits:
With Speed Limits you can:
- Set separate speed limits for uploads and downloads.
- Specify which days of the week to apply the limit.
- Specify which hours of the day to apply the limit (such as during peak usage hours).
- If Multiconnect is enabled, you can set speed limits for each interface.
- Combine speed limits with Watch Folders to set automations and use bandwidth more effectively.
You can see how much bandwidth the Desktop App is currently using for both uploads and downloads at the bottom right of its window:
When to use Speed Limits
Here’s an example of how you can use our Speed Limits feature.
Your office internet service provider has a 100 Mbps download speed and a 10 Mbps upload speed. To avoid annoying your colleagues and affecting productivity during business hours, you limit upload speed to 5 Mbps from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
This way, the Desktop App doesn’t use all 10 Mbps of your office network’s upload bandwidth, allowing others to upload files, conduct conference calls, or perform other bandwidth-heavy tasks with less risk of slowing down.
During weekends and overnight time periods, when the network is freed up, the Desktop App will upload at the full bandwidth available.